"This album is my interpretation of how I feel about country right now," Jerrod Niemann says of his new album Free the Music, out Oct. 2.
What does that mean exactly? Horns, fiddles and steel guitars.
"The pedal steel guitar has come to define country music, but there were years and years of country being made before that instrument was even invented. Horns have been in country going back to the 1920s. And fiddles and other string instruments date back even further. I took all those things and put them on Free the Music," Jerrod explains in a release of the project that was two years in the making.
"I made this record in an effort to try and mix 1927 with 2027, but I didn't want to disregard 100 years of what people have already done musically. Instead, I wanted to take that and do it in a way that is also representative of the future."
The album features Colbie Caillat on the track I'm All About You.
1. Free the Music (Jerrod Niemann)
2. Whiskey Kind of Way (Jerrod Niemann, Randy Boudreaux)
3. Get On Up (Jerrod Niemann, J.R. McCoy, Jesse Clingan)
4. I'll Have to Kill the Pain (Jerrod Niemann, J.R. McCoy, Arlos Smith)
5. Only God Can Love You More (Jerrod Niemann, Jon Stone, Lee Brice)
6. Shinin' on Me (Jerrod Niemann, Rob Hatch, Lee Brice, Lance Miller)
7. Honky Tonk Fever (Jerrod Niemann)
8. Guessing Games (Jerrod Niemann, J.R. McCoy)
9. It Won't Matter Anymore (Jerrod Niemann, Rob Hatch, Lance Miller)
10. I'm All About You [featuring Colbie Caillat] (Jerrod Niemann, Richie Brown)
11. Real Women Drink Beer (Jerrod Niemann, Houston Phillips)
12. Fraction of a Man (Jerrod Niemann)